My first two recipes are simple bread recipes. Bread is a go too as a snack on its own or an accompaniment to many dishes.
Lets be honest, most of us can give up basically anything, I’ve even finally managed to give up cigarettes, but bread is one food I go to when I want something to just nibble on, or as a way of transporting something that you crave be it cheese, meat or jam. Especially when you are not up for a full meal.
I learnt how to make bread in its simpliest form when I was about six years of age.
My Mother God rest her was not the best cook in the world but then again she was not cooking for gourmets, but for a family who worked a dairy farm in county Limerick.
But her bread was fantastic and its only now I actually realise what a marvel her bread was. So I have taken her basic recipe that she probably learnt from her mother and I have loaded it with seeds that boost the health benefits of this bread.
The only negative about these breads is that they are so easy to eat, so when you have had a few slices and think I will just have another one, STOP and have a banana instead, as you dont want to come out of this period looking like you beat cancer but swallowed a couch.
SEEDED WHOLEMEAL BREAD RECIPE
150grms SR Wholemeal flour.
90grms SR White
50grms Porridge Oats
40grms mixed seeds Pumpkin/Sunflower/linseed.
180mls Natural or Greek yoghurt.
60mls Water or milk.
20mls Sunflower Oil
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well
- Add all wet and mix gently until combined
- Dash of flour on the table and turn out mix
- Knead gently and place on floured baking tray
- Heat oven to 210 and when hot pop in bread for 25 minutes
- Check to see if fully cooked by tapping bottom and listen to hear that it sounds hollow and cover with a tea towel and then cut butter eat and enjoy.
You can add additional seeds if desired they are a rich source of protein and with the wholemeal you will keep everything full of fibre and regular.
Note it sometimes depends on the flour and oats that you use and on occasions you may have to wet the mix a little more or add a small bit of extra flour if it’s too sticky.
But soda bread is forgiving as breads go.The health benefits of this bread are enormous and I shall do a little piece later on the benefits of all of the different seeds etc.
The next bread I am going to recommend is the white version of the soda bread, this is lower in fibre and depending on what anti nausea tablet you are taking this bread may just make it easier to digest. It will also be helpful with the tummy side effects, of either diaorrhoea or constipation. Again its a simple and forgiving bread recipe and I admit that when this comes out of the oven that its hard for me and the two boys not to just pull chunks off it to eat with jam and butter.
WHITE SODA BREAD WITH MIXED SEEDS
350grm Self raising white flour
1tsp salt (it needs it)
100mls Full fat milk
50grm of mixed seeds for natural proteins I use a mix of pumpkin linseed and sunflower seeds
200mls Greek style or natural yoghurt.
1 Egg Yolk
Little squeeze of lemon juice.
- Sieve the flour and salt together it makes it lighter.
- Add milk and yoghurt together in a jug and squeeze in lemon to curdle slightly and this also activates the baking powder in the self-raising flour.
- Add egg yolk to the yoghurt and milk mix and add all wet ingredients to the dry flour and salt mix.
- Combine gently and roll out onto a lightly floured surface where you knead to just form into a ball.
- Pop onto a floured baking tray and cut a deep cross into the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes at 190C
Turn out and leave to rest and simply enjoy.
Less Fibre but still packed with all the protein you will need.
This bread is richer and will keep for at least four days and even if it gets a little hard it makes wonderful toast with a little jam or melted cheese.
This is the perfect bread to have with a homemade vegetable soup.
Coming Soon the how to do short video on Liam Cooking Through Cancer on youtube.
If you like it and can get past the poor production values please like it and subscribe and please for give us our amateur hour!!